Friday, December 26, 2008

How many HATS in 2008? You be the judge ...

As we near the end of 2008, I equate my successes by the number of hats I have worn during the year. To do this, I, as did Susan – the heroine in Snakes in Paha Sapa – will perform an annual reflection of the previous year’s events. This year is no different in that regard, however, I now have an avenue in which to reflect my ramblings and acquisitions to the whole cyberspace world —> my blog.

I’m not a blog-master by any stretch of the imagination, nevertheless, I am getting the hang of it one click at a time. I count that as one of my accomplishments of 2008. I think I will enjoy the creative expression that will come with having a blog, if only I remember I have one. My memory isn’t what it used to be. That’s why I’m counting on all of you to remind me by regularly posting comments. Why just last week I was combing my house from top to bottom looking for something I’d received in the mail but forgot where I stashed it, only to discover halfway through my search I couldn’t remember what it was I was looking for. Oh well, I did find it eventually but in the most peculiar place. Onto counting my hats ...

With my creative hat this past year, *deep breath* ... I made a thousand or so polymer clay beads, hundreds of cell phone charms, many ceiling fan/lamp pulls, several beaded pens, a handful of stitch markers, couple of lopsided polymer clay canes, a few bookmarks, two heart key rings, and a beaded letter opener with beads made by me. I was the artistic visionary, shipping and receiving department, supply scout, accounting estimator, inventory control, listing agent, and the marketing director. I currently have nearly 700 items listed out there somewhere – the 209 Swarovski crystal listings alone made my fingers bleed!

One of my goals was to join with the greatest Etsy’s PC Street Team, so I put my best foot forward and was accepted into the Polymer Clay Artists Guild of Etsy.com (PCAGOE) group. I continue to have a wonderful group of friends with Laughing Muse Jewelry Artisans (LMJA) on Etsy, and Tranquil Beading Oasis (TBO) on eBay.

As for my “day” job, I managed to work a semi-full flying working schedule as a Flight Attendant. Then along with day-trading once or twice a week, I continue to write my novels and create new passionate storylines. This next year I will focus on writing (perhaps even publishing) my first non-fiction book to add to my previous titles.

I’ve had a couple of medical mishaps this year, very different from years gone by. I’ve never really had any major health issues in my life which makes this year a red-letter date in my history book. 2009 will be the continuation of what I’ve learned about keeping myself outta the doctor’s view. No New Year’s resolution here, as I was not going to wait until 2009 to begin my education on recovery.

The dogs got groomed by me many more times than they would have liked, not to mention, my taxi service for the many trips to the Vet. I hired a contractor to remodel the front half of my house, leaving the back half to annoy me next year. I stepped up my recycling efforts and purchased an additional kitchen trash can just for those items. And ... I put my supervisor cap on and made Doug (the boyfriend of 16 years) take them to the recycling center.

I’ve made many new friends this year, reacquainted myself with past acquaintances, and have cherished every minute with those friends who are steadfast in my everyday life.

I’ve worn many hats this year, and done many things, I’m just not sure I was successful at any of them. My house needs dusting ... can anyone help me out there? :)

Cyndie ... wishing you a healthy and prosperous 2009 with many hats of your own!

11 comments:

  1. Such an eclectic aray of talents from one very busy gal. Your blog is interesting,informative, and enjoyable as well. Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog and your things. Wishing you and yours and all of your friends a happy,healthy and prosperous New Year.

    Mary

    peonylane.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cyndie! You've worn many hats successfully this past year, and I love how you do this review.

    While I was reading your review, I went through my own list in my head, and you've made me realise that I've also accomplished quite a few things this year and I'm proud of this.

    I wish you a very Merry Christmas, and a New Year filled with even more creativity!

    Cheers,
    Nathalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. A true Renaissance woman! Thanks for the past year of sharing your art, both literary and crafts. 2009: prepare your doors for departure! Aida

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cyndie,

    You are very successful indeed! If only I had half of your energy and time! sigh..... You've been very busy this past year. It made me think of all the things that have gone on in my life this past year. I guess I've been wearing too many hats this past year too! LOL!

    I hope you have a wonderful and prosperous New Year!

    Happy New Year!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for your kinds words. I hope I have inspired you to put on more hats in the coming year. For me, it's all about managing time, having some fun, and experimenting to see where your creativity lies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cyndie.
    Nice to read your BLOG about the hats.
    Not that long ago, it seems that people wore one or two hats, but now we all need to over-complicate our lives so much that we welcome and complain about all of our "hats" It would be nice in 2009 to have a balanced "hat year". Like they say, "everything in moderation."
    Good luck and good health in the new year.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Cyn,

    Thanks for writing this review of your past year. It was a reminder for me to do the same. And when you think in terms of what you've done and achieved, there's no way to feel but happy and satisfied about life! :)

    Sus :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good gracious you've had a busy year :-) Hope 2009 is prosperous for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. CYNDIE! :) Whoa you've been BUSY! Busy is a word that in the past was not part of my life. Since moving away from my hometown it's def been added to my vocabulary.

    You've done so very well and I'd like to say you wear your hats well! Congrats and continued success to you in 2009 and always!

    As for the dusting...I know I can't find my duster's hat for all the dust I have har har! ;)

    HUGS and best o luck my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cyndie -- thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving the nice compliment. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you -- I've been on a bit of a blog break.

    Congrats for all of your accomplishments. You sound like a force to be reckoned with. Sounds like all fun stuff too, so good for you.

    Love the t-shirt you were wearing in Disneyland. That's pretty priceless!

    Anyway, nice to meet you! I hope 2009 brings you continued success and all that you hope for.

    - Theresa

    ReplyDelete